Mia Edidin, LICSW
Crystal Gurney, CD(DONA)
GPS Group Peer Support© is an evidence-informed group model that will give you the map to support parents in your community. GPS for Parents© is an empowering group experience that provides a place for parents to address the challenges they face, hear from others on the path, gain perspective and strength, and chart a course through challenging times. ‘
This model can be used in a wide variety of settings including those running postpartum support groups, breast/chest feeding groups, psychoeducational groups for parents with kids 0-3, for families in the NICU, perinatal loss groups, and any group in which parents are asked to share and listen.
1. Learn how to provide an evidence-informed model that incorporates cognitive behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, mindfulness-based stress reduction and psychosocial education in a warm and accessible group model
2. Learn group leadership skills to provide trauma-informed, empowering group environments through both didactic and experiential learning modalities
3. Explore cultural messages and myths that can undermine confidence, competence and mental health
4. Learn how to provide a population and culturally sensitive, group model for diverse communities
5. Include the values and soul of your community into the heart of GPS Group Peer Support©
6. Merge GPS Group Peer Support© with already-existing educational curricula and learning objectives to enhance deeper engagement
Lunch on your own
___ CEU’s for LICSW, LMHC, LMFT pending approval
GPS for Parents© is based on over 15 years of model development by both Annette Cycon and Liz Friedman in their work as the co-founders of MotherWomans Postpartum Support Initiative and through their development of the MotherWoman Support Group Model.
This training is open to experienced and first time group leaders. Providers of services to ALL parents are invited to participate in this training.