Present your work at the conference:
We cordially invite you to submit a proposal for the 1st biennial Trauma and Birth Conference to be held in Seattle WA, March 28-30 2019. This professional event will offer an unique training experience providing attendees the opportunity to network and exchange ideas with over 300 participants. Our audience will consist of psychotherapists, doulas, midwives, labor and delivery nurses, OB-GYNs, psychiatrists, ARNPS, childbirth educators,lactation specialists, and peer support personnel.
Both our speakers and the topics they address will reflect the wide breadth of experiences and needs of parents, families, and communities impacted by trauma during the perinatal period. We will specifically address the overall health inequities that communities of color experience in relationship to trauma during this period. Additionally, we are interested in a diversity of approach, experience, and expertise. Presentations may include somatic and experiential methodologies as well as lecture and demonstration.
In 2018, we are specifically seeking workshops on the following topics:
- Common implications of trauma for childbearing people
- Impact and prevalence of pre-existing trauma and/or perinatal trauma for families of color
- Impact and prevalence of pre-existing trauma and/or perinatal trauma for LGBTQ families
- The impact of traumatic birth on fathers and partners
- Vicarious trauma – its effect on medical professionals, therapists, and allied birth professionals
- How attachments are shaped by trauma during the perinatal period
- The impact of perinatal trauma on interpersonal relationships,
- Traumatic birth and its influence on subsequent pregnancies,
- Differentiating and treating acute trauma vs. PTSD
- The needs of survivors (of sexual abuse) during pregnancy, birth, and postpartum
- Intergenerational trauma
- Somatic approaches to trauma.
- Evidence based mental health treatment approaches to perinatal trauma
We will be looking for presentations that fit in the following tracks:
- Prevention Programs and Strategies
- Peer Support and Community Networks
- Culturally Specific Programs and Services
- Fathers, Partners and Families
- Somatic and Complementary Approaches to Healing
We welcome didactic as well as experiential presentations to range from 75 minutes to 90 minutes in length. Our program selection committee will determine the length of presentations once all proposals are reviewed. Please note the following dates:
Proposals are due by July 23rd at 5pm.
You will receive an email acknowledgment of your proposal
An acceptance letter will be sent by September 1st
A commitment to present will be expected by October 1st
An online application can be found here
We look forward to receiving your proposals and hearing your ideas.
Perinatal Support of WA
PATTCh (Prevention and Treatment of Traumatic Childbirth)