10 Month Advanced Perinatal Mental Health Training and Case Consultation
October 15, 2021 @ 10:00 am - July 15, 2022 @ 12:00 pm
This 10 month series offers a forum to learn from experienced perinatal mental health specialists, delving into PMH topic areas through both didactic training and case study discussions. If you have attended our 2 day Best Practices in Prevention, Identification, and Treatment of Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders Training, this 10 month training is a great next step in continuing to learn about perinatal mental health issues.
This training is suitable for all mental health practitioners and requires a 10 month commitment. Each session will be 2 hours long and will consist of: 1 hour training on a specific PMAD topic and 1 hour of case consultation. Case consultation will help clinicians implement and incorporate the knowledge and skills learned through the reading and the training.
Trainer: Heidi Koss, LMHC
Dates and times: Consultation meetings start on Friday, October 15th and continue on the 3rd Friday of each month, 10am-12pm PST. Participants agree to financially commit to the program.
Dates: Oct 15th, Nov 19th, Dec 17th, Jan 21st, Feb 18th, March 18th, April 15th, May 20th, June 17th, July 15th
- 20 CEUs approved for LICSWs, LMHCs, and LMFTs.
- This Program has been approved for 20 CEUs for Licensed Social Workers, Mental Health Counselors and Marriage and Family Therapists by the Washington State Society for Clinical Social Work.
- 20 contact hours approved for RNs: Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 17084 for 20 contact hours. CEUs are based on attendance (2 CEUs per 2 hour meeting)
- This training is approved as an advanced course for the Postpartum Support International Certification in Perinatal Mental Health.
- Continuing Education is provided by Perinatal Support of Washington at the completion of the program. CEUs are based on attendance (2 CEUs per 2 hour meeting).
Cost: $75/consult session
- To reserve your spot please pay $150 and make monthly payments, or pay in full ($750)
- If you choose to make monthly payments you will be required to set up an auto payment via credit card. You will receive an invoice on December 1st. Please set up the automatic credit card payment when you receive that invoice and your credit card will be automatically charged on the first of every month starting in December and ending in July.
- The consult groups require a commitment of all 10 monthly consultation meetings.
Limited Scholarships available for providers in Washington state who meet the following requirements:
1. Take 1 or more Medicaid (Apple Health) plans and
2. Agree to continue to take new clients with Apple Health plans for a year.
3. Work within communities who have historically been underserved and have the necessary connection to serve families in those communities.
Full and partial scholarships are available. To apply please follow this link to the application.
Deadline to apply: October 1, 2021
In the application you will be asked to write a brief statement about how this training will be used in your practice, how you plan to provide services to underserved communities, and how you hope this training will impact your community or community you serve. Please be sure to include details about how you meet the 3 criteria listed in the application.
Course Outline: (please note all topics will be covered but might move around)
Month 1 – Adjustment issues, maternal shoulds and shame issues in American society
Month 2 – Perinatal Depression
Month 3 – Anxiety – Intrusive and scary thoughts, OCD, OCD and scary thoughts
Month 4 – Perinatal management of bipolar disorder and postpartum psychosis.
Month 5 – Birth trauma
Month 6 – Breastfeeding
Month 7 – Perinatal loss: miscarriage, stillbirth, preparing for pregnancy after loss and risk for perinatal mood and anxiety disorders.
Month 8 – Medications during pregnancy and lactation.
Month 9 – Supporting parents during and after the NICU
Month 10 – Special considerations for sexual abuse survivors and perinatal mood and anxiety disorders, birth issues and parenting issues.
- Understand how to accurately identify, assess and treat perinatal depression, perinatal anxiety, adjustment issues, perinatal bipolar disorder, postpartum psychosis and birth trauma.
- Understand when breastfeeding is protective and when it is a risk factor for perinatal mood and anxiety disorders.
- Understand how perinatal loss impacts the risk for perinatal mood and anxiety disorders.
- Understand the special considerations for perinatal medication management.
- Understand how to accurately identify, assess and treat sexual abuse survivors for perinatal mood and anxiety disorders.
Questions regarding the training, please email: email@example.com
About the trainer:
Heidi Koss, LMHC is a psychotherapist in private practice, serving individuals, couples and families, with an emphasis on pregnancy and postpartum mood disorders, birth trauma, as well as treating other related birth issues.
Heidi has contributed to the field of perinatal mental health in many ways over her career. She is the Co-Founder of the Northwest Association for Postpartum Support (NAPS). She served on the WA state leadership advisory committee for the Speak Up When You’re Down Postpartum Depression Awareness Campaign and has been an instructor at the Seattle Midwifery School for their PPMD course. She has collaborated on a PPMD training curriculum with the University of WA School of Nursing Infant Mental Health and Development Program and the Washington State Department of Health First Steps Division. She has been a Certified Postpartum Doula and Certified Lactation Educator for over twelve years, and the recipient of the prestigious DONA International Penny Simkin Award in 2006. Heidi is also the proud mother of 2 beautiful daughters.