Group Peer Support (GPS) Facilitator Training
January 25, 2023 @ 9:00 am - January 27, 2023 @ 5:00 pm$360
This 2.5 day training is open to experienced and first time group leaders. Providers of services to ALL parents are invited to participate in this training.
GPS Group Peer Support© is an evidence-informed group model that will give you the map to support parents in your community. GPS for Parents© is an empowering group experience that provides a place for parents to address the challenges they face, hear from others on the path, gain perspective and strength, and chart a course through challenging times.
This model can be used in a wide variety of settings including those running postpartum support groups, breast/chest feeding groups, psychoeducational groups for parents with kids 0-3, for families in the NICU, perinatal loss groups, and any group in which parents are asked to share and listen.
Please know that this is a highly interactive and participatory training. Learning to create and hold a group space requires learning what it is feels like to be in community with one another and be present. Learners should plan to be at the whole training, video on for interactive portions, with limited multi-tasking. In our busy world, and with online trainings, it can be very tempting to think that we can do more than one thing. Please give yourself and the community off learners a gift of allowing yourself to be with us each day, fully, and engaged.
Dates and Times:
Wednesday, January 25th, 2023, 9am-5:00pm PST
Thursday, January 26th, 9am-5:00pm PST
Friday, January 27th, 9am-12:30pm PST
Must attend all days
Mia Edidin, LICSW & Crystal Gurney
- Learn how to provide an evidence-informed model that incorporates cognitive behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, mindfulness-based stress reduction and psychosocial education in a warm and accessible group model
- Learn group leadership skills to provide trauma-informed, empowering group environments through both didactic and experiential learning modalities
- Explore cultural messages and myths that can undermine confidence, competence and mental health
- Learn how to provide a population and culturally sensitive, group model for diverse communities
- Include the values and soul of your community into the heart of GPS Group Peer Support©
- Merge GPS Group Peer Support© with already-existing educational curricula and learning objectives to enhance deeper engagement
Continuing Education Information:
- 15.25 CEUs approved for LICWs, LMHCs, and LMFTs.
- This Program has been approved for 15.25 CEUs for Licensed Social Workers, Mental Health Counselors and Marriage and Family Therapists by the Washington State Society for Clinical Social Work.
- 15.25 Contact hours available for RNs
- Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 17084 for 15.25 contact hours
$360 General Registration
$335 PS-WA Member
$206 Current PS-WA Volunteer
There are very limited amount of spots available. If the training is full please add yourself to the waitlist and we will do our best to get everyone in.
Limited Scholarships available for WA State providers who meet the following requirements:
- Work within communities who have historically been underserved and have the necessary connection to serve families in those communities.
- Have concrete plans to start a group within 6 months.
Full and partial scholarships are available. To apply please follow this link to the application.
Deadline to apply: December 23, 2022
In the application you will be asked to write a brief statement about how this training will be used in your practice, how you plan to provide services to underserved communities, and how you hope this training will impact your community or community you serve. Please be sure to include details about how you meet the 3 criteria listed in the application.
If you wish to receive a printed manual prior to the training you must be registered by January 16th.
This is a live virtual training and a recording will not be sent out after the training, please only register if you are able to attend the training in its entirety.
Questions regarding the training, please email: email@example.com
GPS for Parents© is based on over 15 years of model development by both Annette Cycon and Liz Friedman in their work as the co-founders of MotherWomans Postpartum Support Initiative and through their development of the MotherWoman Support Group Model.