Group Peer Support (GPS) Facilitator Training – Online
November 12 @ 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm$360
This 2 and a half day training is open to experienced and first time group leaders. Providers of services to ALL parents are invited to participate in this training.
GPS Group Peer Support© is an evidence-informed group model that will give you the map to support parents in your community. GPS for Parents© is an empowering group experience that provides a place for parents to address the challenges they face, hear from others on the path, gain perspective and strength, and chart a course through challenging times.
This model can be used in a wide variety of settings including those running postpartum support groups, breast/chest feeding groups, psychoeducational groups for parents with kids 0-3, for families in the NICU, perinatal loss groups, and any group in which parents are asked to share and listen.
Dates and Times:
Thursday, November 12, 2020, 2:00pm-5:00pm PST,
Friday, November 13, 9am-5:00pm PST
Monday, November 16, 9am-5:00pm PST
Must attend all days
Mia Edidin, LICSW & Crystal Gurney, CD(DONA)
1. Learn how to provide an evidence-informed model that incorporates cognitive behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, mindfulness-based stress reduction and psychosocial education in a warm and accessible group model
2. Learn group leadership skills to provide trauma-informed, empowering group environments through both didactic and experiential learning modalities
3. Explore cultural messages and myths that can undermine confidence, competence and mental health
4. Learn how to provide a population and culturally sensitive, group model for diverse communities
5. Include the values and soul of your community into the heart of GPS Group Peer Support©
6. Merge GPS Group Peer Support© with already-existing educational curricula and learning objectives to enhance deeper engagement
Continuing Education Information:
- 15.25 CEU’s pending for LICWs, LMHCs, and LMFTs
- 15.25 Contact hours available for RNs
- Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 17084 for 14 contact hours
$360 General Registration
$335 PS-WA Member
$206 Current PS-WA Volunteer
Limited Scholarships Available:
Consideration is given to applicants who:
1. have immediate well developed plan to or already run a new parent support group,
2. is from or serving a community that has historically been unserved or underserved, and
3. host the group outside of King County.
In the application you will be asked to write a brief statement about your plans for providing a parent support group, how you will provide services to communities that have historically been under-served, and how you hope this training will impact your community or community you serve.
Deadline to apply is Friday, October 30th. Please follow this link to the application.
GPS for Parents© is based on over 15 years of model development by both Annette Cycon and Liz Friedman in their work as the co-founders of MotherWomans Postpartum Support Initiative and through their development of the MotherWoman Support Group Model.